Shimek Laboratory

View Fullscreen

Shimek Lab is one of five stone labs built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) in 1936-7. Shimek is known for its two massive fireplaces that comprise the north and south walls of the structure. Originally used as the library, today the lab is used for classes and as a multipurpose room. The building was named for Bohumil Shimek (1861 –1937) an American naturalist, conservationist, and a professor at the University of Iowa.